Sunday, January 13, 2013

Matru ki Bijli ka Mann is Upset!


I just got back this evening after watching "Matru ki Bijli ka Mandola", a Vishal Bharadwaj movie. An off-beat title for a movie and a teaser quirkier still got me really interested in this one. It also stars my favorite "Karamchand" - Pankaj Kapur and I thought it would be quite a delight to watch. I love watching movies - and well after a good movie I think about it when I get back home - and I definitely bring back at least one of the characters home with me - either for some bashing or for having a one-on-one "Sweets with Srey" kinda rendezvous . However, tonight's not the night and unfortunately with the absence of alcohol I only get to see "Gulaabooo" or that could just be me on the other side of the mirror! I definitely need a drink or two now.

It's got power-pact  performances from the entire cast. Ohh I loved Kapur playing the so very Grey Mandola - Good and Evil at the same time, transitioning smoothly and never for once looking out of place. Bijli seemed an apt name for Anoushka in the movie, however I thought she didn't bring anything new to the table it was all too similar , nothing that we'd not seen.  But what was missing from it all was perhaps some good consistent storytelling. There was sattire , slapstick comedy, over the top dialogues with slangs thrown in at the end of each sentence, I felt as if there was too much of everything... and finally which is why for me it missed its point. It talks of serious issues and I would have liked to feel for the hapless villagers of Mandola but well, I couldn't . It left me confused and disappointed as it could have been so much more! 

Sunday morning: I just heard Rajeev Masand's review this morning, and he seems to have really enjoyed it. So, definitely many have loved this movie and enjoyed it to the fullest. As for me, without my food for thought I head for the Fridge - for the kind that always leaves me happy and satisfied.
 It really almost never disappoints...

“It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.” 
― Roger Ebert

No comments:

Post a Comment